Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Five months of planning: summed up!

So I apologize, I have been terrible with keeping this blog up. Heck, the point was to document all that was involved with the planning process, but {surprise surprise} the planning process was so busy that I just couldn't find the time. Oops.

So here, now that most of the planning is done, I will recap for you.

Where I left you last was that our church backed out on us, and we were left scrambling to find a new one. Thankfully {as noted earlier} St. Francis came to our rescue, and things there have been unfolding wonderfully. That was, after all, where I wanted to be married all along. We have attended the orientation, the music orientation, and {dun dun dun...} the engaged encounter workshop! We are officially {cathloic-y} licensed to wed. {well, not really--but we did get our certification for making it through engaged encounter--no easy feat ;) 12 hours over all of grueling question answering and issue discussing!} Thankfully, J and I have been on the same page about most issues all along. Yeah, I think that's called soul mates :)

On the weekend of August 9th, mom, Kelly, Ms. Hodges and I ventured out to David's Bridal on Capital Blvd. to try on a few more dresses just to make sure I was certain in my dress choice. After several dresses that I was less than impressed with, we found one that might be a contender. Mom and Ms. Hodges had their votes in, but I had my concerns. And after a brief talk with my maid of honor in the dressing room as I was coming through the "birth canal" of the dress, I made the decision to stick with the dress I originally had my eye on at the other store.

On August 15th, Mom and I traveled back to Burlington to actually purchase my wedding gown! We spent the afternoon with the gown on and trying on different veils and hair pieces, etc. It was very surreal to know that the gown I had on was actually the dress. Don't girls wait their whole lives for that? :] Luckily, with the purchase of a gown, the veil was free which was a nice touch. We ordered the gown in just the right color and size and it was put to the back of our minds since we knew it would be several months before we were back there. Check, another thing done.

September came much quicker than I expected, and soon it was time for the bridesmaid sleepover and our engagement party! On September 11th, Abby traveled in from Greenville SC {this was the first time I saw her in about two years!!} and the rest of the girls came over in their pajamas {as requested} and an ultra fun night ensued!! I have to say that I have the best bridal party ever. Each of these girls are a different definition of a best friend from all different portions of my life!

September 12th was the engagement party, and it was awesome to have all of our family and friends all in the same place celebrating our love. Ms. Hodges made a lovely cake and we had the food catered by one of Eileen's HS friend's husband. Everything was great, the future mother in law meltdown aside.

October was a month for getting things done. We booked the limo {then pursued to wonder if we made the right decision after having several failed attempts to contact the company or receive a contract. I am happy to report that those issues have since been worked out}. We also paid the church. This was made a pressing issue for me after I had a terrible nightmare that my wedding day snuck up on me and I hadn't paid the photographer or the church. Needless to say, the church was paid the next weekend! On Oct. 26th, J, my mom & I went over to Jerri Long's house to discuss cake flavor and design. We have decided on a lovely, simple design with a fairly simple flavor which I'm sure will please!! Trust me, you won't be disappointed! Jerri Long works out of her own home and is not a licensed baker, but her rates are extremely reasonable and her products are masterpieces. Please, let me know if you would like her information!!

In November, my girls ordered their dresses. Funnily enough, even after I gave them all the option to choose their own dresses, they all picked the same one! With a bridal party full of such lovely ladies, they could have worn potato sacks & not disappoint! I also ran into some future decisions drama in November where J and I were forced to take a closer look at what we wanted for post wedding location, occupation and family situations. All, thankfully, has been fully discussed and we are on the same page with all. I really do love that man!

December was hectic but successful! On December 7th, my mother and I traveled back to Burlington my dress was in! I have probably never been so excited about a single item of clothing before. I can't wait for you all to see it. It's just so....joey! That next weekend: Dec 11 & 12th was our engaged encounter workshop at St. Francis. We {as mentioned before} survived! It was all easy breezy until I started getting cabin fever, cold and tired. Definitely not good conditions for discussing heavy, life important decisions. But alas, we managed to get through it! We played Wii that night to bond on a lighter note and get some activity since we'd been sitting in elementary sized cafeteria chairs all. day. long.

Jonathan and I celebrated his 24th birthday {actually on 12/18} on Tuesday 12/15. I cooked him a hearty love-filled meal and we soaked up some of our last days together. Then, on December 16th we chose our wedding song. It is definitely different than I would have ever picked, but truly fitting. We ended the year spending the holidays with our respective families as it was our last to be just in one place, and we rang in the new year with our good friends: Eric, Kelly and Tyler with a lovely dinner at Twisted Fork followed by a small gathering at Tyler's with lots of fun games: madgabs, catch phrase, buzz words, etc.

On January 2nd, Jonathan packed up and moved to Georgia. I am not going to lie, this sucks. We've done the long distance thing before, but I just miss him. At least this time, it's only for a short while and this time there is a wonderful reward!!

I promise I won't let as much time pass before my next update. If I do we'll already be married!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment